Soft Ginger Bread Cookies || a winter treat
I have tried numerous ginger bread cookie recipes over the years. I finally found a keeper!! I promise, you will love these cookies! You might even do a happy dance when you realize how easy they are!
Last night I baked the cookies while we enjoyed spending time with my in-laws. This morning, both girls were up earlier than usual, so we decided to frost and decorate the rest of our gingerbread cookies.
When we move, I will definitely miss our huge island! It's the perfect spot for both girls to sit and help in the kitchen.
I have really been working on letting go of the inner-perfectionist in me, at least when it comes to activities with the girls. I don't want them to feel like they can never measure up. I want them to be brave, and try new things, even if at first, they fail. And I definitely want to be their biggest cheer-leader, not a nagging voice in their ear!
I want them to enjoy spending time with me, and doing activities with me.
So, when it comes to working in the kitchen, I give Addilyn her own cookies to decorate, or bread to roll into a ball, or her own cheese to grade. She enjoys helping in the kitchen, and I can relax and not hover over her the entire time. It's a win-win ;-)
So, back to the cookies.
We baked them last night and frosted a hand full of them after they had completely cooled. That's the trick, don't try to frost them when they are still warm, I promise you will be disappointed and maybe even frustrated (I know that from personal experience).
I prefer mine with a tall glass of cold milk.
Although, in the morning, I am sure I will prefer my little gingerbread man with a hot cup of coffee!
The frosting has a hint of lemon, a perfect accompaniment to the gingerbread.
These can be made any time of year, but they sure make the best little gingerbread men!!
Soft Gingerbread Cookies with Lemon Frosting
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg plus 1 yolk
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup additional sugar for rolling
Lemon Frosting ~ Add the juice of one lemon, and 1 tsp. of lemon zest to a mixing bowl. Add 3-4 cups of powered sugar and mix (with a mixer) until the frosting is smooth. Add more powered sugar to achieve the desired consistency.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- In bowl of stand mixer beat butter and sugar together for 2 minutes.
- Add in molasses and mix until incorporated.
- Beat in egg plus additional yolk, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon and cloves. Mix until smooth.
- Turn mixer to low and add in flour until dough comes together.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour, or longer.
- Roll dough and cut into desired shapes.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes until edges are golden.
- Allow to cool on baking sheet for 3 minutes and then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled, frost with lemon frosting.
Store airtight at room temperature for up to 3 days….and enjoy!!!