I have received a lot of emails and some FB messages about my painted metal dining room chairs. I thought I would post just a short "how to"!
I had purchased four metal chairs from Overstock last year. I like that they are durable, inexpensive and I just like the look. When we refinished our "new" table, I purchased four new chairs as this table can seat 10. As soon as Mr. UPS delivered the chairs, I realized the brown color wasn't working for me in the new dining area.
Here is a photo of the brown chairs for the kiddos table at Thanksgiving.
Here is a photo of the chairs painted. One of the many reasons I love, and use Chalk Paint® decorative paint, is that it goes over virtually any surface. If you have ever tried spray painting metal chairs, you know what a pain that can be!! The Chalk Paint® works beautifully on metal!
- Scuff metal using fine grit sandpaper (I used 220) or steel wool.
- Clean metal with warm soapy water, rinse with warm water and dry completely.
- Apply two coats of paint, I used OLD WHITE.
- If you want a distressed look - once the paint is dry, distress the paint by sanding the edges and places where the chair would naturally wear.
- Apply two coats of Annie Sloan lacquer to seal and protect.
I love the look, in this dining room, better with the white chairs. I will probably paint them again in the future, and that's just another reason I love this paint :-)